For almost 70 years, this under the radar powerhouse has navigated thousands of weekend “sailors” to safety.
While the Sarasota Sailing Squadron might be one of Sarasota’s best kept secrets, it has an enviable history here in our community. It grew out of the youth sailing program of the Sarasota Yacht Club in the latter half of the 1930s and, after a hiatus where it quite reasonably disbanded during WWII, the group then partnered with the YMCA in 1946. A year later, it obtained its own charter. Since 1958,the Squadron occupies the northeast section of City Island where it resides to this day, holding 400 boats on its site and serving as a social venue for members and their guests as well as being a community asset to Sarasota and the surrounding area.