My name is Arthur Smith. My wife, Sharon, and I officially joined the Squadron January 25th, 2014, after a long journey. Here are the highlights:
- This is a story in itself, but suffice it to say for now that I grew up sailing in Virginia Beach, where I met my wife – who was not to be my wife in reality for 20-some more years. Now we are sailing together 🙂
- Bought a Montego 20 off a mooring at Marina Jack late October 2011, for $500. Crusty Bottom. Tattered Sails. Running outboard (mostly). Solid Hull.
- Journeyed down the ICW, across Charlotte Harbor and up the Peace River to our new home at a private dock. Watch the video if you dare! http://theyachtbarn.com/thebarn/2012/12/09/montego-migration-video/
- We had a great time on the Peace River and developed a wonderful friendship with our dock “landlady”.
- “new” sails
- We had no trailer or way to get the boat out, so we hired a diver for hull cleaning.
- It was more than a year before we actually sailed (with sails!) the boat: http://theyachtbarn.com/thebarn/2013/02/22/288/
- I became moderator of the montego_sailboat Yahoo! group
- We took a family camping/sailing trip to Cayo Costa: http://theyachtbarn.com/thebarn/2013/09/24/cayo-costa-campingsailing-trip-2013/
- Alas, we finally found a trailer we could modify to fit our needs and get the Montego out of the water. https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallencreek/sets/72157650655453791/
- We gave the SSS a call, and got on a waiting list for a spot. Thanks to a certain Paul for the encouragement a couple of years ago!
- Mark gave us a call to let us know the good news – there was a spot available. We jumped on it! We had a nice little sail with the kids last Sunday, and a wonderful time hanging around on Monday even though the weather didn’t cooperate for a sail. https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallencreek/sets/72157650655610771/
We have had a wonderful time these last couple of weeks, and everyone has been so warm and welcoming. Thank you, Sarasota Sailing Squadron!
— Arthur and Sharon Smith
PS… We have finally decided on a name for our Montego 20 – Eeyore. Please stop by and cheer him up when you can 😉