7/10/2017 – SSS MANAGER’S REPORT
• 5 New Memberships since last Board meeting, 653 Total family Memberships as of today.
• Volunteer hours 3953.5 ytd. I would like to recognize Jacki Booker for providing the Club with the most volunteer hours (outside of the BOD) in June of this year.
• Additional notices for non-compliant vessels to be removed and shown signs of positive impact freeing up some much needed space for placements.
• The Revocation letters were mailed out offering one last opportunity to those Members indebted to the Club. Of the 12 Memberships in question 8 have made things right to maintain Membership.
• I would like to recognize the achievements of the following Members: US Youth Champs, racing a Nacra 15 Mark Brunsvold and Dylan Heinz, despite sailing with 35 lbs of water in their hull on the first day, won in Corpus Christi. They are the US representative to race the youth Worlds in Sanya, China in December. Also of note Bryce Tone and JJ Smith raced at the 2017 Americas Cup in Bermuda. They qualified with their finish at the 2017 Open Bic National Championships we had here hosted by the SYS. Bryce finished 3rd overall and JJ 5th and top female.
Maintained & Maintenance
• As we have seen this summer the weather conditions can transform without notice. We can face sunny windless days or tropical storm situations from week to week. Please be prepared. Take the necessary precautions to secure your property. Reduce windage, remove sails and Biminis, use tie downs to secure your boat and trailer. These measures are not just for the multi hull owners, be a good neighbor.
• I request the BOD review and approve Yard Storage Model proposed in 2015 that includes the opportunity to offer larger spaces to those who desire and Club provided Tie Downs at each birth.
• Kirk and friends have continued the repair and maintenance of the Compos Rose Marks with just C left to replace.
• Coast Guard is in the process of pulling the New Pass makers and closing the pass to commercial traffic. Due to unstable shoaling we can no longer mark the “best water” in this channel, USCG.
• With the rain the growing and the mowing and cutting. Please see the office if you find and ant or a wasp nest or ant mounds. If you haven’t already noticed we have grassed the area around the Flag Pole.
• North West Fence to be replaced.
• Replaced the seat on the Member Kubota, were adding more solar lights to the docks, replaced a couple of leaky pipes and hose bibs, replaced the soap and shampoo dispensers in Stone House, replaced the stop plate on the Hoist.
• We’re looking into the Well Pumps. We’ve noticed random issues over the last 3 weeks.
Events & Activities
• History of the Sarasota Sailing Squadron author John Pether hosted a talk and Q & A last Friday that brought out some of the Club’s most tenured Members. It was a wonderful talk and we are planning to repeat the event in October. The book is in high demand, selling over 100 copies in the first month and nearly $1000. In net revenue.
• The Start Sailing Now program is expanding at a breath taking rate. This year the program is on pace to triple last year’s classes and has already doubled the amount of adults introduced to Sailing on Sarasota Bay. Quietly the program with the Rental fleet has grown to 7 sailboats, 2 SUP and a tandem Kayak.
• Recently hosted the Unkie race, the Firecracker was cancelled, near perfect evening and vantage point for the 4th of July Fireworks display downtown.
• Upcoming: Fridays, Sunday, Scots and Scow fleets still making their weekly gatherings, the Wednesday night races, facilitated by the SYS are going well.
• If interested in volunteering on 71th LDR special committee please let me know. The LDR is not only our Club’s signature event but also Sarasota’s longest running sporting event.
• More of the same for the next 2 months as we anticipate extreme heat.
Action Items Pertaining to this Report
Action Items for the Board