Where's the Commodore?

(A diary of John Huber's Atlantic crossing)

Rock of Gibraltar

Rock of Gibraltar

9/28 We left Cartagena around 8:00 a.m. and averaged about 7 knots motor sailing. We had light and variable winds from 0 to 13 knots, smooth seas, and light, scattered showers. We anchored off of Agua Amarga around 5:00 p.m. and had a great lasagna dinner that Robin had been preparing all afternoon. After dinner we watched three episodes of Persons of Interest and went to bed around 10:00 p.m.

9/29.    We left Agua Amarga around 8:00 a.m  Again we motor sailed all day at 7 to 8 knots with moderate to heavy rain and light wind. We got a slip at Almerimar Marina at around 4:00 p.m. After we secured the boat Robin and I went to check in at the office. The marina csn accommodate around 1000 boats so it took us about an hour to walk to the office. During the 40 minutes it took us to check in it started to rain and we had the long walk back.  We were a little wet when the wind started to blow and the rain started coming down in sheets so we ducked into a little bar to have a drink and wait out the storm.  The electricity went out but the rain finally stopped and we made it back to the boat. Rick said the anemometer registered gusts of up to 40 knots during the storm.

9/30.  We left the marina around 7:30 a.m. and it is beautiful weather for the journey.  We are now traveling more Westerly along the South coast of Spain. The weather was sunny with the temperature around 72 degrees and we had about 45 miles to go to arrive at our planned anchorage. Again we motor sailed at about 8 knots until we were stopped by the Spanish Coast Guard who wanted to check our papers.  We had no problems and they were very nice in spite of the language barrier.  About an hour after the Coast Guard stopped us we anchored in a little cove.  We are anchored in a little town called Punta de la Mona. Robin is making a roasted pork dinner which smells delicious.  We have about 90 miles remaining to get to Gibraltar so we plan on about 60 miles tomorrow and 30 miles the last day so we should arrive around noon. However, we are making a little better time than we planned on so we called the marina in Gibraltar and arranged to arrive on Thursday…a day early.

10/1  We were making good time with a favorable current. There were sloppy seas, strong winds, and no good place to anchor so we continued all the way through to Gibraltar and arrived around 7:30 p.m.  We anchored outside the marina and will check in today.


Where's the Commodore? — 1 Comment