Call to Order
at 7:04pm by Commodore Jennings.
The roll was called and a quorum certified with 10 directors present.
Directors present: David Jennings: Commodore, Bob Miller: Vice Commodore, Barry Millbourn: Rear Commodore, Linda Tiffan: Secretary, Michelle Lee: Treasurer, Joe Pratico: Fleet Captain, Herb Larrabee: Race Captain, Donna Hillmyer: Regatta Director, Cassandra Roznos: Social Coordinator, Laurel Kaiser: Education Coordinator.
Amendments: Laurel Kaiser voted FOR mooring field motion to reduce fees from $400 to $200. Remove items in parentheses under RV CAMPING
Manager's Report, Craig Bridges
is attached here .
Craig thanked Deb St James for bringing old trophies back for display. Current membership 768. 128 new members in 2012. Volunteer hours high - 6000 hours. Donated boats and car being sold this weekend. Money goes to Corinthian Fund. Laser and Bower 10 added to rental fleet. Unused boats being notified and tagged if out of compliance with Standing Rules. New Year's Eve party and Hangover Regatta were huge success. Cruising with Class course starts in January. Snowbird regatta in January. January 20th is memorial for Walter Wyatt at 1pm at SSS. Fireside chat is January 26 at 5pm. Great SSS coverage in January issue of Sarasota magazine. Very well done. Great publicity.
Sarasota Youth Sailing (SYS), David Livingston
Corinthian Fund, John Huber
John met with Sarasota Community Foundation. They had good suggestions for supporting the fund. The Community Foundation has updated its scholarship website and is linking it with Corinthian Fund and SSS website. Trying to get word out so more folks are aware of fund. Recycled cans money will be donated to the fund. Need volunteers to build can smashers - call Laurel Kaiser. First recipient of Corinthian Fund award was on site visiting this week.
Luffing Lassies, Brenda Scanlon
Fall series ended in December. Trophies were awarded at a Holiday party hosted by Rita Steele. Winter series begins this week. Luffing Lassies will be racing Sunfish, Prams and 420's. J22 clinics start this week.
Mooring Field and Proposed Fee Structure
- Commodore, David Jennings - Reviewed elements of the proposal.
- Education Coordinator, Laurel Kaiser - Stated that the proposal is a brilliant idea in concept, but should not be voted on tonight. She asked that the board postpone the vote until the following board meeting to afford everyone the chance to fully understand it. She also expressed her concern that the proposal had not been adequately discussed by the board nor was it presented to the mooring committee for review. She stated that the fly in the ointment is fees for those who moor their boats elsewhere and who use SSS facilities and docks. She clarified that FOAM and Dock Access fees are not a way to raise money via the mooring holders. She emphasized that we are restructuring our rate structure. It is not a mooring fee. She asked that the standing rules committee have a member on it that is affected by the proposal.
- Vice Commodore, Bob Miller - Stated that based on previous input from the mooring committee that they were ready for a proposal like this. He asked the board not to postpone action.
- Secretary, Linda Tiffan - Linda has belonged to two other sailing clubs that both had fee structures similar to this proposal. She stated that it is not a short term fix, but can be the way fees are structured for the long term. It also removes the concept of "mooring fees" from the equation. She felt the proposal enabled the SSS to legally charge fees, provide parity of fees across the organization and address several current and future issues. She believes that it is a reasonable alternative to the way things have been done in the past and avoids some of the long standing problems with previous approaches.
- Fleet Captain, Joe Pratico - Stated that the mooring committee calculated what reasonable expenses would be and this proposal is in line with them. Believes this is a legal option and that we should take a vote tonight. However, we need to modify fees for those mooring elsewhere. If problems with fees are resolvable, then we can make a decision now. He asked the board to make the adjustments needed and then he's in favor of the proposal. Joe supports charging overhead fees because our costs are only going to increase. He asked if the SSS is maintaining equipment and inspections until lease resolved because we need to be concerned about equipment and safety.
- Treasurer, Michelle Lee - Stated that she likes this proposal because it is legal, achieves equity and presents a plan for anchored boats and mooring field boats. Michelle dispelled the perception that a specific dollar amount is being set and then the board looks for where to get it. The proposal is about the board looking conceptually at how to charge for the club assets. She explained that the $200 part of the fee is overhead for mooring holders - pays for legal fees, buoys required by state, insurance, state record keeping, management costs for users, etc. She stated that $200 is not unreasonable to help underwrite overhead. The proposal will include how the rules can accommodate all users. She emphasized that this proposal is a directional shift that needs thoughtful discussion. In response to a suggestion that membership dues be increased, she stated that they may have to be increased in the future. However, the city lease states that access to city residents is important and dues must be reasonable. An increase in dues might impact discussions with the city.
- Race Captain, Herb Larrabee - Stated that the proposal is equitable and a way forward for the club. Feels that having similar fees for mooring field and land storage is a good idea. FOAM fees can be addressed for those anchored outside the mooring field via standing rules committee rather than trying to deal with this in a motion. Fees can then be determined for specific cases.
- Regatta Director, Donna Hillmyer - Stated that the proposal looks to the future and provides equity. The board is trying to do what's right for the whole club. We have a 3/5 rule that can address some of the issues brought up by those who moor their boats elsewhere.
- Social Coordinator, Cassandra Roznos - Cassandra supports the proposal whole-heartedly. She is in favor of SSS moored boat fees, but feels the fees should be modified for those moored elsewhere.
- Rear Commodore, Barry Millbourn - Emphasized that the FOAM fee reflects on how we use money. Arrangements can be made for anchorage users.
- Robert Messina - Robert wasn't aware of application process for mooring field. He has now applied. Asked what else he needs to do. Joe Pratico said the board will take his appeal under advisement.
- Bill Niblock - Asked for more board input on the proposal.
- Randy Morningstar - Sees the proposal as just a name change. He suggested changing the membership fee instead of charging for access that is never used. Asked if the board is listening. How many SSS members have left because we signed consent decree?
- Sara Allen - Stated that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". She supports Randy Morningstar's views and feels that fees are not fair for light users of the docks.
- John McKay - Pointed out that no board member has a moored boat. He doesn't think Dave Levin (our attorney) would approve of that. Believes the proposed fee is still a mooring fee and isn't legal.
- Dave McCormack - His concern is: Is proposed fee legal and does it hurt us in negotiations with the state?
- Cheri McNulty - Very concerned about members with boats moored elsewhere. She moved her boat because she was tired of arguing about the mooring field. Is done with this issue.
- Mike Halliday - Shared this document with the Board regarding his thoughts on Submerged Lands Lease.
- Jim Nickle - Asked what is $200 portion of the FOAM fee for? He doesn't agree with several of the fees. He doesn't want to be charged for things that don't benefit the mooring field. He asked if the $400 mooring fee will be reinstated once a lease agreement is reached. $200 fees not fair. Other fees are OK.
- Captain Debby - Feels that the fees are not equitable at all. Fees are not fair for those who don't use the docks.
- Carol Anderson - Proposal solves financial need for money, but presents a lot of implementation problems. Real problem is those who dock elsewhere - the fee is too high for them. There are abandoned boats in the mooring field that add to implementation problems. Mooring holders should not have to pay for legal fees. They contribute huge amounts of money in other ways. Board needs to solve the problem, but not this way. She wants to know her charge for a 30' boat.
- Dave Ash - He doesn't agree with $200 fee just because he uses the dock. Fees should be distributed equally among entire membership.
- John Steele - Stated that 5% of the membership is the "tail wagging the dog". He requested that the board modify the proposal to accommodate exceptions. Get it done now. Move on.
- Sue Forrest - Really supportive of proposal except for fees for those who aren't using the docks that much. She wanted to know if there is a way to identify those people. Issue is dividing the club - shouldn't divide. Decision needs to be made, but not tonight. We need more discussion.
- Dave Peterson - Dave asked if he will be charged for his moored boat when he is also paying for a land boat. Feels there are too many overhead fees included when he pays for both boats. Felt that large boat owners should get a discount after certain amount of footage.
- Jason Rosnos - Feels that FOAM fee is fine. He is concerned about anchorage boundaries and said that charging a Boat Access fee when a boat is anchored elsewhere is ridiculous. It imposes a penalty for those not moored here. Stated that these folks are spending money on beer and food and contributing to overhead. Need to figure out who gets charged and who doesn't.
- Paul McKissick - Asked if legal fees only applied to mooring field? Regarding Dock Access fees - why charge them to only us? Feels it is a contribution for running the club not a charge for dock usage. Paul is a new member of SSS and says that the mooring field is not a marina. He wanted to join SSS because of 3/5 rule and is not in favor of a Dock Access fee.
Michelle also asked the Standing Rules Committee to examine and make recommendations on:
- What should the single night/day dock charge be to allow a member who only docks a few days a year to be able to pay that daily rate and have a total slightly less than the annual dock + FOAM amount but high enough to encourage people who regularly use the docks to just pay for the annual dock + FOAM?
- What should the daily and/or nightly dock fee be for non-SSS members? Consider how that is worded so that there is a strategy that considers both transient use and regatta use.
- Review current 3/5 rules regarding free docking and paid docking.
The above motion was then amended by Michelle Lee (seconded by Bob Miller) to include the following language: The Board Instructs the Standing Rules Committee to ensure the terms and/or geographic boundaries that apply to this fee are consistent with Board intentions and City water management purview.
Discussion: Joe Pratico asked that the motion accommodate those who don't moor here. David Jennings said he would vote in favor of the motion if it was modified to apply to only those moored here. Have to figure out how to manage those moored elsewhere. Bob Miller suggested we make the motion specific to the 38 in our mooring field and those anchored in the immediate area. Barry Millbourn suggested changing wording to apply to immediate area only. Herb Larrabee asked if we could identify an area within a certain perimeter of SSS. He feels that this motion plus standing rules will take care of those outside immediate area. Language must be consistent with language of state. Has to be researched so don't want to change the motion.
Discussion: Joe Pratico - $200 too high - big boats have lots of expenses such as own equipment, inspections, etc. David Jennings - $200 is high. Five boards have struggled with this.
Discussion: Mike Halliday - why moving so fast? Have whole month of January. Michelle Lee - Board has had copy of budget for over a month and has reviewed it. The budget is a product of the finance committee which worked on it for several weeks. The by-laws require that the budget be presented for approval and adoption at January's board meeting. Laurel Kaiser - Asked what is included in increased contract fees. She suggested an increase in legal fees amount and stated that ground maintenance fees seem high. She offered caution on spending money in a budget category just because it is there. Joe Pratico - Asked to include the hoist in the budget as a capital expense. Donna Hillmyer - Concerned about who can spend our money. Perhaps this should be clarified in the standing rules.
Note: Vice Commodore Bob Miller was absent.
David Jennings welcomed new SSS members who had joined in January, especially those in attendance tonight. To date, there are 18 new memberships.
Due to late hour and extensive review of new proposal, Commodore David Jennings recommended that committee reports be postponed until the February meeting.
The next meeting is 12-Feb-2013. Executive Committee meets at 5:30pm, full Board at 7:00pm.