NOTICE TO MEMBERS
|Message from the Commodore|
|Sarasota Sailing Squadron -Plan for Limited Activities
Great news! The Sailing Squadron will re-open for limited activities on Monday, May 4th at 10:00 a.m. Before I get into the details, let me take a moment to congratulate all of you on your response to this challenging situation. As sailors, I know staying at home and not having access to the Squadron was tough. But we did it, and now we can get back on the water and enjoy all the best Sarasota Bay has to offer! However, medical experts warn that it does not take much to create a spike in the outbreak. With that thought in mind, let’s look at some things we can do to keep all of us safe and healthy.
As we move into this first step of re-opening, the overall expectation is that sailors will come to the squadron, launch their boats, sail, and then return home. We are asking you to refrain from socializing at the Squadron, and the areas where we traditionally get together (club house, bar, picnic tables) will remain closed for now. The restrooms in the Stone House will be open for use. Below are some general guidelines for all of us to follow:
• If you are sick or a vulnerable individual, please stay at home.
• The club will be open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (We want the staff present to supervise and manage our first step.)
• While ashore, please maximize physical distance from others.
• In areas where you cannot maintain 6 feet of separation, please wear a mask (or a neck gaiter, buff, or other suitable device to cover your mouth and nose).
• Sail only with those in your immediate household. Please, no guests at this time.
• Maintain 50 feet of separation from other boats on the water. No fleet activities or raft-ups.
Now that we have reviewed our common policies, let’s discuss what you can expect when you arrive at the Squadron.
The Front Gate
The gate will be closed, and you will need to call the office at (941) 388-2355 for the gate code. Why the new procedure? Should the conditions ashore get crowded to the point our members cannot maintain proper social distancing, we will need to limit access to the grounds. Hopefully, all will go well and none of you will be asked to return at a later time or date.
There will be Sign-in/Sign-Out station outside under the main pavilion. Make this your first and last stop of the day. If needed, attendance sheets will be given to health officials to aid in contact tracing.
Boat Storage Areas and Launch Sites
Here are some considerations for getting your boat in and out of the water:
• Limit gatherings and launchings to no more than 6 people.
• Maximize your distance from others.
• Wear a mask (or a suitable substitute) if you cannot maintain 6 feet of separation.
• Wash or sanitize your hands if you touch objects that others frequently handle.
• The hoist is closed for construction.
• Call the office to schedule use of the Kubota.
The Stone House will be the only restroom facility open. We will have those professionally cleaned every day, and there will be sanitizing materials available for your use. If possible, please limit occupancy to one per side. If you must share the facility with others, wear a mask (or suitable substitute).
Unfortunately, social distancing does not allow us to teach lessons. We will get our new sailors back on the water as soon as conditions allow.
Yes, we will have boats available for your use! Call the office to schedule a boat. For our larger boats, please limit crews to your immediate household. Our staff will clean and disinfect your boat prior to your use. However, we are asking you to bring your own life jacket and communication device (VHF radio or cell phone).
It is truly a pleasure to welcome you back to the squadron! Have fun and be safe.
Richard Elsishans, Commodore
On behalf of the Board of Directors